Ask a Question

Cross and Bi Cross Hearing aid fitting

1 comment
can any one share their clinical experience of Cross and BiCross Hearing aid fitting .  

G.Suresh Naidu Audiologist,speech&language therapist

Last comment

As an audiologist and BiCROS user, I think that the most important aspect of fitting CROS/BiCROS hearing aids is ensuring that the user knows how this type of hearing aid system will work and that it has limitations. Certainly good at overcoming the...

Barry Downes Professional Services Manager

Master thesis: Hearing and hearing loss from the perspective of people with hearing loss

0 comments
Dear people in my Ida network This spring I´m writing my Master thesis in Medical Anthropology. The subject is Hearing and hearing loss from the perspective of people with hearing loss. And my method is observation and qualitative interviews. Do...

Alis Kamstrup Mortensen Hearing counsellor

Emotional/attentional reactions and unilateral hearing loss

2 comments
Does anyone have any information about or experience with the relationship between unilateral hearing loss (single-sided deafness) as related to anxiety, depression, and/or difficulties with attention-related issues?   I'll appreciate any...

Samuel Trychin Ph.D.

Last comment

Hi Sam, Here's some research we featured on the Ida site a few years ago that might be helpful: http://idainstitute.com/public_awareness/news/blog/show/viviana-maller-presents-new-research-on-emotions-and-hearing-loss/

Amanda Farah Cox Web editor

Education

0 comments
Hy I am new one. I want to know about AuD or PhD Audiology in China. which institutes are offering these degrees in English Language.Thanks

Muhammad Zubair Audiologist

The Change Guide

1 comment
This month's feature topic is the Change Guide. What is it like trying to introduce a new practice into your workplace? Whether you work in a clinic or in academia, and whether the change is technological or a question of method, we want to hear...

Last comment

The Harvard Business Review posted an article on how to lead by listening. Sounds a lot like the Appreciative Approach! https://hbr.org/2016/05/listening-is-an-overlooked-leadership-tool

Winning Videos from the Big Messages

5 comments
We're excited to announce our winning video from the Big Messages competition at AAA. Jim Wilson created the winning video: </p> <p>There were some other favorites, like this one from...

Last comment

Hi Amanda, and congratulations Jim! A request: Do you think you might open this up to share Youtube so that we could get subtitles in there? Thanks a ton for any assistance on this! Hola Amanda, y felicitaciones Jim! Una solicitud: ¿Usted cree que...

Michael Herren Director Ejecutivo

Deaf Awareness Week: 2-8 May 2016

2 comments
This week is Deaf Awareness Week in the UK. The focus of the week's public awareness initiative is the abilities of people with hearing loss, rather than how they are hindered. You can join the discussion at Action on Hearing Loss, but we'd also...

Last comment

As a follow-up to Deaf Awareness Week, May is Better Hearing Month. Katherine Bouton, author of Living Better with Hearing Loss shared this great list of myths about hearing loss on the AARP website.

Ena Nielsen Project Manager

Genworth Aging Experience exhibition

1 comment
Tech Insider have shared an article about their day at the Genworth Aging Experience installation at the Liberty Science Center: http://www.techinsider.io/what-its-like-to-be-85-at-24-2016-4 The Eriksholm Research Center has their own smaller scale...

Last comment

This article at Tech Radar is an intersting follow-up: 5 ways Wearables will Transform the Lives of the Edlerly.  http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/5-ways-wearables-will-transform-the-lives-of-the-elderly-1321898 While turning the idea of...

Ida at AAA 2016

0 comments
The Ida Institute is at AudiologyNOW! 2016 from 13-15 April. We will have a booth and there will be a learning module about the Cochlear Implant Journey. We'd like to welcome all new members to the Ida community, and continue the discussion here.

Musician sues Royal Opera House over ruined hearing

1 comment
A violoa player is suing the Royal Opera House in London after his hearing was damaged during rehearsals. Much is made of how rock music affects both musicians and concert goers, but less attention goes to classical musicians and their fans. The...

Last comment

Much has been made of AC/DC singer Brian Johnson retiring from performing live. He says that his doctors say he risks total deafness if he continues to be exposed to such high noise levels.  His entire letter, which goes into some detail about his...

Ida Workshop at ISHACON 2016

1 comment
Greetings to our Indian colleagues who attended the Ida Institute workshops at the ISHACON pre-conference today. Our conversation highlighted the universal aspects of person-centered care as well as what makes the context in India unique. Thank you...

Last comment

It was an amazing experience . Very practical and simple counselling tools across all age groups . We would like thank ida foundation for coming to India all the way . Looking forward for further programs . Thanks

PRAVESH SAMPAT HEAD- AUDIOLOGY

TeleAudiology

3 comments
Hi I am working as Audiology Service Manager for AQP Adult Audiology Rehab project in London and would like to know in detail about the benefits of teleaudiology for patient care. I would be interested towards developing teleaudiology services for...

Shamik Rudra Audiologist

Last comment

Hi Shamik, Other community members have shared their experiences with teleaudiology here: http://idainstitute.com/forum/Discussion/show/tele-health-in-audiology-1/ We've also gathered information from Ida's own work with teleaudiology...

Cochlear Implant for Unilateral Hearing Loss

2 comments
Does anyone from anywhere know of  a person who has a unilateral hearing loss who has had a cochlear implant? Sam Trychin

Last comment

Hello yes, I have a cochlear implant for single sided deafness. I have had it since June 2014 and wouldn't be without it. i am happy to answer any questions about it. Gemma

Gemma Mole Hearing Therapist/Audiologist

Hearing Health Awareness Initiatives

5 comments
Does anyone have a local or national hearing health awareness raising initiatives or campaigns they would like to share in hopes of spreading the word and increasing their reach? The Canadian Academy of Audiology has recently created a short and...

Clayton Fisher Audiologist

Last comment

Hi Clayton, Thanks for sharing this video! The stories are definitely familiar, and hopefully will prompt others to take action. Ida ran our own public awareness campaign, Ideas Worth Hearing. You can find a catalogue of different ways to raise...

Future Regenerative Solutions to Hearing Loss?

1 comment
This article ”Pharmaceutical treatments for hearing loss” states that new knowledge gained through research studies of the inner ear is increasingly being used to develop drugs and therapies that in the future could solve problems causing hearing...

Bente Sørensen Project Manager

Last comment

A new article in the Hearing Journal says that gene therapy for hearing loss is coming closer to being a reality. Genetic testing for different conditions associated with hearing loss are leading the way for identifying other hereditary causes of...

Support Groups for People with Hearing Loss

1 comment
Support groups for people with hearing loss are very helpful. The Article 'The Birth of a Hearing Loss Support Group' describes the foundation of a specific support group - the Jacksonville Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America. Read...

Bente Sørensen Project Manager

Last comment

The blog Living with Hearing Loss recently shared some tips from an HLAA meeting. These communication strategies contributed to a successful meeting.  

International Week of the Deaf

0 comments
September 21 marks the beginning of International Week of the Deaf 2015. This year's theme, With Sign Language Rights, Our Children Can! focuses on the rights of hearing impaired children to access to sign language education.  What...

The Cochlear Implant Journey

5 comments
Children with cochlear implants and their families know there is much more to life with a CI than the switch-on. The Ida Institute has been exploring the needs of these families, first with our CI Journey seminar, and now in our latest monthly...

Last comment

Children with cochlear implants and their families know there is much more to life with a CI than the switch-on. The Ida Institute has been exploring the needs of these families, first with our CI Journey seminar, and now in our latest monthly...
Profile picture -

Audiologist or Hearing Care Provider for a child in Karachi Pakistan

0 comments
Hello All, I need to find follow-up care for a child with hearing loss (bilateral moderate to moderately-severe sensory loss) in Karachi Pakistan. If anyone is from that area or knows of anyone, please respond to me by this forum or you can...

Eileen Rall audiologist

Inclusive toys and games for children with hearing loss

9 comments
I came across Makies dolls, which allows girls and boys to design their own unique doll. One of the accessories they have available for them is a pair of hearing aids: https://mymakie.com/shop/catalogue/hearing-aids-pair_53139/ They're part of...

Sharmi Albrechtsen Associate Director

Last comment

http://www.entandaudiology.com/8-dolls-stuffed-animals-and-toys-with-hearing-aids/

Lena Kyman Audiologist

The Hearing Care Manager of the Future

1 comment
In this month's feature, we're discussing our Vision 2020 process, the Hearing Care Manager of the Future. Hearing healthcare is changing, and we want to know how it's affecting your practice. What changes are you anticipating, what are you...

Last comment

In the latest issue of ENT & Audiology News, Ian Windmill of the American Academy of Audiology talks about the future of hearing care and the role of technology. Specifically, he mentioned self-directed care, saying: "Self-directed care is a...

Do audiologists see transitions management as part of their job?

1 comment
All human beings go through transitions as they mature and move from being dependent children to becoming independent adults. These include moving from primary school to secondary school, and then on to university or out into the working world. At...

Anne Mette Jeppesen Project Manager

Last comment

An article in Audiology Today by Emily Pajevic and Kris English discusses how to plan transitions for teenagers from ages 13-18. They suggest different steps than can be taken at different ages, as well as providing online resources for healthcare...

AAA: Creating the Future of Hearing Health Care

7 comments
We presented our featured session, the Future of Hearing Health Care, at this year's Audiology Now! Conference. Thank you to all who attended the session and came by the booth afterward. If you attended, we would love to hear feedback or answer any...

Last comment

I enjoyed attending the booth this year! I think all of the tools were laid out and easily accessible. I did glance at the tool about the communication partner’s journey and thought it was just the patient journey tool. So maybe labels? (if there...

Charlie Ruby Audiology Student

Rejection Therapy and audiology

9 comments
A while ago I heard a story on National Public Radio about a card game called Rejection Therapy (http://rejectiontherapy.com/). The game was developed by this man who suffered great rejection (I believe his fiancé left him for another man) and...

Charlie Ruby Audiology Student

Last comment

Hi Charlie, I could see this idea being utilized as almost an introductory activty in hearing impairment and auditory training tasks. The more our patients have experience and exposure to varying degrees of difficulty in listening situations,...
Profile picture - Brittany Renne

Brittany Renne

Scottish Lipreading Strategy Group

0 comments
The Scottish Lipreading Strategy Group's report 'Lipreading classes in Scotland: the way forward' was formally launched on Thursday 26th March. It is now available on the website of the Scottish Course to Train Tutors of Lipreading:...

Linda Armstrong Research Officer

Girl Scouts Denying Scout a Sign Language Interpreter

7 comments
Over at Hearing Health Matters, Jane Madell has shared the story of a 12-year-old girl who previously relied on a sign language interpreter to help her participate in Girls Scouts. After six years of providing an interpreter, the Girls Scouts of...

Last comment

The Washington Post had an op-ed recently about the examples that adults set for children when it comes to being inclusive. The author, a father a boy with Downs Syndrome, says he sees more examples of adults and teachers excluding his son without...

Looking to the Future of Audiology

9 comments
As we're finalizing the results from our Vision 2020 focus groups, we wanted to share with you some of the selfie videos that were made to give our participants food for thought. We would love to hear more about what members of the community...

Hans Henrik Philipsen Chief Consultant, Anthropologist, Phd.

Last comment

This article from Marketing Magazine about the death of the brand has a very important take away: "What this study has revealed is simple: brand valuations have declined by nearly half, while the value of customer relationships have doubled over...

Make Listening Safe

3 comments
It's International Ear Care Day, and this year's theme is "Make Listening Safe." ASHA and WHO are partnering to raise awareness. You can watch a video below by ASHA Chief Officer of Audiology Dr. Neil DiSarno on their partnerships and plans for the...

Last comment

As a follow-up to this year's International Ear Care Day, a group of students in the University of Washington's Speech and Hearing Science Department, under the guidance of Dr Kelly Tremblay, have made the following video on how to make listening...

Research probelm /question - Master student

0 comments
Hey everybody. I'm currently studying my master's in Audiology at the University of Southern Denmark. I'm looking for a possible research problem(s)/ question(s) for my Master thesis. Since I'm not a professional yet I would like to hear if...

Muna Ahmed Mohamed Master of Audiology student and

The concept of "normal" and its impact of self-identity and social-identity in hearing healthcare

11 comments
Those involved in hearing healthcare are often conditioned early on to categorise people in terms of "normal hearing" or "hearing impaired". This labelling creates two distinct social groups and self-identities as a foundation for other thought...

Curtis Alcock Owner

Last comment

Hi Curtis, In terms of categorising hearing loss, the notion of severity is interesting because, in my experience, parents of children newly diagnosed with hearing impairment will ask me "what can my child actually hear and what can't they hear",...

Paul Peryman audiologist

Trouble with Pure Tones in Pediatrics

3 comments
Recently, I've had a couple pediatric patients who just could not respond properly to pure tone stimulus. One 7 year old girl in particular, I could not get consistent results until I used narrow band noise (inspired by her good responses when...

Christine Pickup Audiologist

Last comment

Having worked with pediataric patients for 15+ years, I have often found that using narrowband noise or warbletone stimuli gets the attention of children better than pure tone stimuli. I think they find those sounds more interesting and so respond...

Julie Peterson Clinical Instructor, Audiology

Percentage/Numbers of noise induced hearing losses?

1 comment
Hi I'm in my third year studying audiology and making an assignment on noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) with a focus on musicians. I would like to quote how big a problem NIHL is in general and compared to other kinds of hearing loss, but I...

Rikke Sørensen Student

Last comment

You should be able to find some references and starting points in some of the links below. For the ones that don't refer to Denmark, you might consider working out a percentage of the population and extrapolating to the Danish population, but bear...

Curtis Alcock Owner

Beyond speech recognition: which outcomes do you measure?

4 comments
I hear a lot these days about ease of listening, quality of life, cognitive factors, working memory, and all sorts of other things beyond audiotrams and speech recognition that reflect (or influence) outcomes with hearing aids and implantable...

Ryan Carpenter Senior Clinical Marketing Manager

Last comment

Ryan, this a great question and I can't wait to hear what other members suggest. We too are in the process of working out what should be in our "clinical toolkit" but have yet to standardise anything. But here is some of our thinking currently,...

Curtis Alcock Owner

When to counsel Vs. adjustment of HAs

0 comments
Hi there, I'm doing a talk to a range of experienced Audiologists (new grads, recently qualified grads and experienced audiologists) regarding when you would counsel a patient compared to adjusting the amplification settings of the hearing aid....

Chessie Egan Clinic Manager

An Audiologists Role in Tinnitus Management: when to refer?

6 comments
Hi everyone, I have recently been teaching a course to my third year Audiology class on tinnitus management. I was teaching them about Cognitive Behavioural therapy and Acceptance Commitment therapy and I started to ask myself about where our...

Nikki Keeton

Last comment

These are very important questions. There is a book you might find useful: "Tinnitus: a Multidisciplinary Approach" (link: http://amzn.com/B00B9QK0FE), by David Bagueley, Laurence McKenna, Don McFerran and Gerhard Andersson (who are considered...

Curtis Alcock Owner

Supporting Children with cochlear implants and Their Families

7 comments
Almost all parents of children with hearing loss experience shock and grief as a result of the child’s diagnosis. Parents of children with CIs, in particular, have a lot of questions and concerns about the invasive nature of the treatment but also...

Last comment

I think that families that go through the process of early intervention and that have a child who receives a CI are educated but that it is still an overwhelming process and that we have to always remember this when speaking with them. We cannot be...

Domitille Lochet Speech-Language Pathologist

Medical Device Design Student Questionnaire

0 comments
Hi there, I am a student studying medical device design. For my thesis I have been tasked to develop a design for a new otoscope. It would be great if you could take a few minutes to answer my questionnaire at this link:...

Leo Kennedy Mr

Audiogram - Computerized clinical file

3 comments
As most of us have experienced, an audiogram is not something easily recreated in a "non audiological" software. The organization I am part of is slowly but steadily making its way towards completely computerized medical records. In view of that,...
Profile picture - Christine Lemay

Christine Lemay

Last comment

Hi Christine - The easiest way is probably with a Screen Grab. In case you're not familiar with this method, there are two ways to do this on Windows: METHOD 1 1. Hold down the ALT key, then press PrtScn Key (top right on most keyboards)....

Curtis Alcock Owner

Noise in Classrooms

6 comments
Noisy environments are especially difficult for students with hearing loss. There are many studies, however, that show that noise in the classroom makes it difficult for those with normal hearing to learn in the classroom. A number of years ago I...

birgitte franck SPL

Last comment

Thanks for bringing this important topic up! I came across a report from the OECD PISA Survey that shows how orderly classrooms, where there is less noise and disturbance, lead to better preforming students, regardless of the school's...

Timothy Cooke

Are parents of CI-children recommended visual stimulation or not?

1 comment
I am a student of audiology in Denmark and I have grown curious as to what is actually done out there in the real world. I hear rumours and have theories, but would like to know what is really done out there. As such I am not asking for reasons...

Rikke Sørensen Student

Last comment

Hi Rikke, For the situation regarding advice given to parents by a CI programme, you might like to contact the Southern Cochlear Implant Programme (in the Central and Southern region of NZ) at and ask for your message with the questions above to...

Paul Peryman audiologist

A Parallel Vision for Hearing Healthcare?

16 comments
I would like to suggest that while we have done good work developing a clear vision related to the care patients need, we need to also look toward a vision statement that leads the profession where we might envision it to be in the year 2020. As we...

John Greer Clark Associate Professor

Last comment

This is a great start on a unified global vision statement for Audiology. When I teach my students about mission statements and vision statements, I note that crafting a good vision statement requires taking the statement to people you respect and...
Profile picture - Barry A. Freeman, Ph.D.

Barry A. Freeman, Ph.D. President, Audiology Consultants, Inc.

Aural Rehab: Are We Getting it Done?

4 comments
Dr. Dusty Ann Jessen argues that while many professionals understand the importance of providing patients with education, counseling, and training, few audiologists are actually providing these services to patients. In her blog post on the ASHA...

Timothy Cooke

Last comment

Hi Timothy, Can you please send me the link to this blog. I would like to follow the subsequent blogs! Regards Munish Pundir

Pundir Munish Senior Audiologist

Disease vs. Illness

6 comments
I'm wondering if the distinction between "disease" and "illness" has been explored on this forum yet? It's a distinction I came across in a Public Health graduate school course. The idea is that "disease" is the objective, measurable health...

Jim Verhoye CHID

Last comment

I don't so much think in those terms, but certainly the concept is very real. There can be quite a disparity of 'handicap' experienced by individuals with the same kind of loss. There are just so many variables; the communication behaviours of...

Derek O'Hare Audiometrist

Any internships for students?

2 comments
Hi We are two young, positive and energetic students who graduated summer of 2013 with a bachelor degree in pedagogical audiology from University of Southern Denmark. We are currently enrolled at first semester in the master’s degree program....

Anneke Nybo Pedersen BA in Pedagogical Audiology

Last comment

Check out http://hearingnepal.org/ Best wishes, Jennifer

Jennifer Hockley Copywriter/Editor

Changing Ida Terms

11 comments
On the Ida Institute website and in our tools, we usually refer to the person in the consultation session with the hearing care professional as the “patient”. Referring to this person as the patient is appropriate in many settings, such as...

Timothy Cooke

Last comment

Perhaps we are approaching this from the wrong angle. Perhaps instead of "using terms that resonate with the majority of hearing care professionals around the world" we should be looking at the effect of the words we use" – on the "person in the...

Curtis Alcock Owner

Tools in Spanish?

7 comments
Anyone have these?? Please email me! I would be so, so appreciative. mlarnold@usf.edu michellelarnold@gmail.com Gracias!

Michelle Arnold Research Audiologist

Last comment

Hi Michelle, It´s so good to meet in this "cyberspace" to share our work. What kind of materials are you looking for? We´ve translated Ida motivation tools to work with patients. Do you think this would be useful?

Viviana Maller Psychologist

What is the purpose of hearing technology?

29 comments
I am currently working on developing a draft blueprint for changing the way society thinks about their hearing and looks after it, and I'd like your opinion on something. What would you say is the PURPOSE of using hearing technology? It...

Curtis Alcock Owner

Last comment

Communication, Intaeraction, Participation

Bob Newport HAD, Compliance Manager, Trainer

What about siblings of children with HL?

9 comments
Usually research focuses on the children with hearing loss (either by asking them to rate their own quality of life or having their parents rate quality of life for them) or the parents. Our group, the Dallas Cochlear Implant Program, has started...

Andrea Warner-Czyz

Last comment

Hello, My name is Liz Ray and I am a Resource Teacher of the Deaf in Christchurch, New Zealand. A colleague directed me to your posting. I was particularly excited to see your enquiry as I am a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) candidate with the...

Liz Ray Teacher of the Deaf