Share Clinical Experiences

Go to the latest comment

Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS)

Harvey Abrams

Director of Audiology Research

Eden Prairie, MN
34 posts

Posted on:

I’ve been corresponding with an individual who has asked me to raise awareness of Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS) in the hearing healthcare community. For those of you unfamiliar with SCDS, it is a “clinical condition that results in a constellation of auditory and vestibular symptoms, such as sound- and/or pressure-induced vertigo and nystagmus, hearing loss, and/or autophony (hearing one’s own body sounds at an abnormally high sound level)” (www.asha.org/Practice-Portal/Clinical-Topics/Superior-Canal-Dehiscence/).   

Philippa Thomson is a researcher, editor and writer who has written a memoir describing her experience with SCDS which may be instructive to you and your patients suffering from this disorder. 

Add your comment

Max file size is 10 MB

These filetypes are allowed: pdf, jpg, gif, png, doc, docx, txt, xls, zip, ppt, pptx

1 Comments

Fiona Barker

Clinical scientist

Sunningdale
42 posts

Replied on:

Hi Harvey,

I'm in the priveleged position of being an audiologist with a SCD. Happy to see it raised. Very important to do bone conduction and consider a VEMP before diagnosing otosclerosis.

Fiona Barker

Add your comment

Max file size is 10 MB

These filetypes are allowed: pdf, jpg, gif, png, doc, docx, txt, xls, zip, ppt, pptx